Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Homeschooled teen talks about her experience, says "I'm kind of like the little mother, almost."

Concord Monitor Online

Homeschooler Amanda Dennehy, 16, (center) carries Michael, 2, while family members (from left) Hannah, 12, Joe, 1, Mary, 9, and Kate, 4, play on their lawn in Salisbury. Amanda is the oldest of nine children. She has been homeschooled since she was in the fourth grade.

My parents took me out of public school just because they thought the education would be a lot better if I was homeschooled, and they just realized how many benefits there were to it.

I remember, even though I was really young, that I would sit there, just wanting to finish this phonics page up, and I'd have to wait for the teacher. But being homeschooled, I'm a lot more independent, and I can progress at my own rate. As a result, now I'm a year ahead. I also get to spend more time with my family, which I think is really important for younger people. I just think it's really good for your character.