Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Unschoolers in College - Summer Employment: Year One

(Please click on the Title Link above to read article.)

by Peter Kowalke

At exactly ten-thirty in the morning on June Sixteenth, give or take a few hours and a day, I was ushered into a tiny office adorned with Cleveland Indians baseball bats and black & white photographs of Ohio State football coaches. Dressed professionally with tie and well-creased slacks, I took a seat and mentally debated the most effective location for my hands to rest. I’d like to boast that my posture usually exudes confidence and poise, but a habit of fidgety fingers has always proved a minor, if not extremely subtle, liability. It has been said that an artist can fudge the rest of the human body so long as the hands and face are believable. Hands and face are the most expressive part of the body. So what did my hands express? My hands betrayed the consternation of an individual lacking leverage; where did I gather the audacity to approach a business professional, asking for a job that didn’t even exist?