Monday, December 05, 2005

Not Homeschooling? What's Your Excuse?

From The American Daily
By Tricia Smith Vaughan (12/04/05)

My favorite excuse is “but the schools here are so wonderful!” The parent will go on and on about how little Johnny or JoEllen is learning the clarinet or Chinese or times tables in their local public kindergarten, something that Johnny or JoEllen’s mommy and daddy claim not to be smart enough to teach. If you think that I’m being demeaning to the mommy or daddy, I am merely repeating what he or she has told me.

I’ve had moms of four-year-olds tell me how much their child is learning, things that the mom says that she couldn’t possibly teach. When I pry with a question or two, I find that what I’m teaching my child at home is at least as good as what Johnny or JoEllen is learning at preschool or kindergarten. And if we need to find a clarinet teacher, we will.

My just-turned-five-year-old has not spent a day in a government institution of learning and yet, he talks with ease to adults, knows his alphabet, writes words correctly with an adult’s spelling help, and works hard at learning to read. From all accounts, he’s just as smart as the heavily schooled.

What’s placed the idea in our heads that the government can educate our children better than we can is none other than our public school system, the government darling of our unconstitutional Department of Education. Most of us grew up with the government’s feeding us lunch, teaching us knowledge and values, and suggesting what careers we should have, all under the guise of educating us. Is it any wonder that we allow this seemingly benevolent entity to provide an education to our children?

Continue reading this article by clicking on the title.