Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Debater has winning way with words

(Homeschool grad wins debate competition.)

Debater has winning way with words
By ASHLEY LOPES Features Writer
03/06/2006

BERKLEY - The friendly and outgoing Rebekah Barton was a force to be reckoned with when she stepped on stage, arguing her way to the top and bringing home the Regional Title for Bristol Community College in the brainy world of debate.

A newcomer to debate competitions, the 17-year-old sophomore at Bristol Community College, with a 3.9 grade point average, swept the Northeast Regional Debate Competition.

Advertisement
She took home six trophies in addition to the several medals that adorned her neck.

"I felt confident with how I did, but I definitely wasn't expecting to win," Barton said. "It was absolutely shocking."

Winning awards in several areas including the debate section and an oral interpretation events, the accomplishment which Barton is most proud of is the regional title, which now sits in a trophy case at her college.

"I was putting in crazy hours of preparation, and this just makes me feel like all my work has paid off," Barton said.

"While all my friends went out, I would stay home on a Saturday night because I had a debate the next day. That's when I realized, 'wow I really am a dork.'"

Fourteen schools participated in this all-day event, and Barton and her partner beat out well-respected colleges such as Bridgewater State, Suffolk and Cornell.

Her mother, Michele Barton, was disappointed about missing the awards ceremony, but was elated to see Barton walk in the door with a box full of her accomplishments.

"I wish I could have seen it," the proud mother said. "She came home with a huge box full of trophies. We are so proud of her because she worked so hard for it."

Barton was awarded second place, won third place for dramatic interpretation, first place for critical analysis and first place for the Pentathelon - a combination of points from all areas of competition.

Barton first became involved with the Forensics and Debate Team through an introduction to speech course she took where she met the team's coach, went to one of their meetings and thought it was interesting.

"Basically, you get a resolution and then you have 15 minutes to put together a case with your partner," Barton said. "It is definitely a challenge. Stressful but fun."

Home-schooled since she was in the fifth grade, Barton entered college at the ripe age of 16.