Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A different kind of summer

A different kind of summer

By Jennifer Bell

Seacoast Online (NH)
May 12, 2007 6:00 AM

As summer approaches, I find myself sorting through day camp brochures, recreation programs, stressing about our finances and juggling the dates with family vacations and visiting friends. In the end, I decide to sign my kids up for only two weeks of camps, save some money and design our summer activities based on the kids' interests. Surely, July and August will boast a considerable amount of down time, but I envision my children having the opportunity to explore an academic subject in more depth, or to pursue an interest that is not offered in public school. As a supplement or alternative to traditional camps, parents can form Special Interest Clubs, a type of mini homeschooling experience in which parents and children design the curriculum, one that meets the needs of learners beyond their traditional education.

Read entire article by clicking on the title.