Thursday, May 26, 2005

What I Learned on the Government School Bus

by Barry Bright

As a country kid I spent two hours a day on that big yellow instrument of torture some people call a school bus.

Often through my government school career I was one of the first if not the first to have to board that diesel-snorting, cold, hot, stinking, dangerous because it was often driven too fast on narrow roads, redneck-bully-filled monstrosity. So I usually avoid thinking about my term of imprisonment there.

But tonight, while thinking about how alienated the average ‘patriot’ really is from mainstream society, it occurred to me that I learned a few things on the government school bus that I never imagined might still apply in the adult world. I was so wrong. Here’s what I learned:

Acting as if you know anything at all is the quickest way to get branded a ‘know it all.’

Acting as if you care about anything that really matters is the quickest way to get ignored.

Trying to tell others about what really matters, or telling anything that varies from the accepted stories, is the quickest way to get hated or feared or beat up.

Ignoring bullies is not possible. If they can’t irritate or abuse you one way they’ll find another.

Most people will sit idly by and let the bullies beat the stuff out of you. (Read on.. click on title link above)